First, I would explain to the class Kevin's condition. I would explain why it is important to respect that everyone is different in their own ways. If the child still didn't understand or agree with these terms, I would call their parents and have them talk to their child about special conditions for certain students.
My personal beliefs about this situation are that I agree 100% that students that have disabilities should have their accomadations met. It's not their fault they take more time to understand something, rather than another student. It's only fair to give each student a fair chance to excel in their students as best as possible.
I think the term "fair"means being treated as a regular student in and outside the classroom. Each student wants to fit in and not to feel like the outcast. One of the worst things for a parent to hear is that their child is being picked on. Being treated "fair" is like the saying, "treat everyone like you would want to be treated."
I can relate this blog to the text. In the text it is said that their are assistive technology and instructional technology to assist with students disabilities. A few rules the court has says that, " a child with disabilities connot be excluded from school without careful due process, and it is the responsibility of the schools to provide appropriate programs for children who are different." I am glad that the court has name this a right for students with disabilities. I think it's very wrong to exclude students from attending just because of their learning abilities.
Kirk, S., Gallagher, J., Coleman, M., Anastasiow, N.(2009) Educating Exceptional Children (12th edition). Kentucky: Cengage Learning,

I remember my good friend in high school took longer than most students to read passages. So for tests, the teacher allowed her to stay after class when all the other students had to turn in their tests. I think that is the right thing to do. Students with a disorder's needs should be met like you were saying. It's not their fault, they were born like that and there isn't anything they can do about it. I agree when you said this is fair.
ReplyDelete