Thursday, December 3, 2009

Learn N Serve#7


Learn N' Serve today was a lot better than most days. Once I walked into the classroom I was assigned to help a group of students with their reading and comprehension skills. Within the group of students there was quite a bit of difference in the student's reading levels. One kid was way ahead of the group with his reading skills, one student was average and could pronounce majority of the words, and another student had very poor reading skills. The student with poor reading skills would occasionally studder and the other students would tease the student.

I felt really bad for the student and I was kind of put on the spot to handle the situation. I told the student's doing the teasing to knock it off and to understand that everyone has different reading levels. They settled down for a bit with the teasing, but once again they started it up again. I felt like I could have handled that situation better, but it was very eye opening to me that teachers can't always prevent the student's from hurting other's feelings but you can make them aware that everyone has different levels of capabilities.

The picture above is a picture I took in the library that I thought was very neat. This section of the book case had books under the title, " Excel in the basic reading skills" this section was instructed to students who were having trouble grasping the basic reading skills and who needed more practice. I thought this was a good idea to help student's with difficulties reading catch up to their peers.

I think this refers to the text under speech disorders. The text says, a speech disorder may include problems with articulation and phonological processing, fluency, and/or voice.
This makes me think the student has a speech disorder because the student fits into all of those categories. Studdering while the student was reading as well as a very soft spoken voice because of low self esteem. The student also had to re read several words because their processing was a little slower than the students around.

No comments:

Post a Comment