Monday, November 30, 2009

Learn N Serve#6


Today Learn N' Serve was very pointless. I came around lunch time, so I sat with a group of students in my class and listened to them talk about this new video game that came out that they were all really excited to play. I thought it was really cute and reminded me of the old days when I was really into gameboys and nintendo and all that good stuff. haha.

After lunch, I helped grade papers. I graded math which had a lot of multiplication problems with no work turned in with the problems. That made me realize that once again the children were allowed to use their calculators. I disagree with the amount that the teacher allows the students to use their calculator. Students need to learn how to multiply by hand and to grasp the problem solving skills that they are going to need in their future.

I also watched the students attempt to do a multiplication sheet in three minutes and I noticed many students were struggling or rushing through and making mistakes.

The picture above is a multiplication sheet the teacher left for the substitute teacher with directions at the top. I remember being timed doing multiplication problems, and I always would struggle because I felt I was being rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment