Thursday, November 12, 2009

Learn N Serve #4



This week in learn n' serve I helped a child learn his multiplication skills. The class was doing worksheets on multiplication. The class had a substitute that day, so a lot of the kids were acting up, and doing things they know they shouldn't have been doing. The student was using his calculator to do his worksheet, so I went up to him and told him that he was not a loud to use his calculator, and that I would help him if he didn't understand how to do the assignment without using his calculator. I sat with him for a few minutes and noticed he wasn't able to do the simple 4X4 multiplication. Which made it difficult for him to do the long multiplication. So I made him memorize his times tables, which made him more efficient when doing the long multiplication.

The lesson I got out of helping, was spending that extra five minutes with a student can make a difference. He felt more confident with himself and was starting to believe in himself. I was glad a made a difference.

The texts says that " an individualized education program (IEP) defines the nature of a childs academic situation, the program's long-term goals and short term objectives, needed services, and criteria for evaluation." After spending some time with this student I think the IEP program would be great for this student. That way his goals would be met as a student. Also, this would allow the student to not feel rushed when the rest of his peers are one or two steps ahead of him.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you noticed that calculator. When I was learning my multiplication factors and the teacher gave us worksheets to take home for homework, I would always use my calculator and that is why I struggled with math growing up. So I hope that student doesn't take the route I did.

    ReplyDelete